Sunday, October 7, 2012

"TTH" Police Report

TTH Police Report:

  • RD due: Wed., Oct. 10
  • FD due: Monday, Oct. 15



No! No! Don't make me
write a police report!

    Pick up where Poe left off in the "Tell Tale Heart."

    Assume the perspective of one of the police officers who arrested the narrator, and write up  your police report.  Keep all of the facts and details of the story basically the same. Police officers, by training, are keen observers of people, so note the details and clues you recall from your experience with the narrator. What may have tipped you off that the narrator was the murder--or that a murder had occurred at all?


    • Be true to the basic facts of the story.
    • Include your own "creative" observations (you can embellish). 
    • Write in first person POV.
    • Your piece should be 350 words long--at least.
    • Be very detailed. Keep the voice of the police person true to his/her personality.
    • Make your report sound as authentic as possible.
    Make sure your report covers at least the following information:
    • Synopsis of the complaint.
    • What you observed at the crime scene
    • Record what any witnesses said.
    • Case status: How was the incident resolved?

    Helpful links:

    "How to Write a Police Report"




    "How to Write a Great Police Report"




    "How to Write a Police Report Narrative"

    http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_6063691_write-police-report-narrative.html




    Student Example
    (I've corrected the errors since we viewed it in class.)


    Admitting the Deed
    by Andie Wyatt (former student)


    Tip tap tip tap. I could hear and see the harsh raindrops fall down upon the cold, car window beside me. There was a dull, slow melody in the background coming from an old radio. I picked up my chocolate twist donut and chewed with small, intense bites. My police scanner caught me by surprise; there was a concerned and anxious voice notifying me of a suspicious scream had taken place at 1738 Monroe Ave

    Police report:

    It was 4:00 a.m. as we pulled up to 1738 Monroe Avenue. My two partners (Jordan Kilps and Ronald Peterson) and I approached the door. The neighbor, who went by the name of Martha Bettingsfield, reported that there was a loud screech next door. I rang the door bell. There’s always a slight chill that comes over me as I anticipate what's indeed is behind that door. 

    A man--tall, dark and somewhat hunched over--had a welcoming smile yet was very suspicious. Pearls of perspiration were taking form on his forehead. His gaze darted from here to there anxiously, avoiding our faces nervously. We'd dealt with some wackos before, but this one was winning the prize for weirdness.

    When asked for his name,  he quickly responded,”Jack. Jack Fember.” He put up no fight whatsoever and led us through his chamber. He explained to us that the screech heard was his own in a dream. He informed my partners and me that an elderly man by the name of Ernest Williams lived in this house. He was, in fact, the owner. Mr. Fember said the old man was presently absent, vacationing in the country.  Mr. F. explained he was watching the house for Mr. W.

    I produced a search warrant and Mr. F. feigned nonchalance, inviting us to search as we pleased. We checked every corner, searched every closet, every drawer and still nothing was found. Mr. Fember directed us to old man’s bedroom, and I noticed a severe twitch commencing in Mr. F's left
    eye. That's a tell-tale sign if I've ever seen one...



    No comments:

    Post a Comment